Monday 27 December 2010

a little over my head

I just recently finished a test for some Zhuang pole flair. It's short- less than a second- and it took far too long to finish. Now I pen this down to one factor which I overlooked and one more addition to some study, and that's the pole hand positions. I spent a long long time getting the fingers to wrap correctly around the pole from various angles, but unfortunately it still doesn't look quite right.


Now call me picky, but I'm determined to make this look as correct as possible, so I'm adding 'close up pole grasping' to my list of things to practice drawing before I get onto the fight itself.

This was partially referenced though, as the original footage was shot directly front on. So on my side, I don't think I fared too badly with the actual animation itself.

 I may have to increase the amount of doubled up frames and compensate with a mild steadycam (not Bourne Identity steadycam, that's just ridiculous, and will completely hide the majority of my animation) to help save time and effort. Regardless, it's not a bad first attempt at this sort of thing on my account.

1 comment:

  1. i'm digging it. smooth stuff, really freaking pro to keep it that way at that framespeed.

    fingers and hands...wrong or right, in this case it's not exactly easy to follow them- the eye is concentrating on those big swooshes around the staff...so the fast movement of the hands in the middle kinda just reads as noise. so in this case a coherent smooth movement might be more important than technical accuracy?

    ReplyDelete