Monday 17 January 2011

Zhuang - a change

I have made the final decision on one of the characters. It's a simple one, but will re-write the entire fight essentially. After alot of practice and fiddling in Flash, I've found it's somewhat difficult to make the staff work for me. Using the line tool will result in making it look very disconnected from the rest of the scene and characters, and not using the line tool results in a mess when the staff is static.

It's also a bit of a pain to erase and draw in the staff on a third layer as well if I want to not have to erase lines from inside the character. The simple solution is to change the weapon before I get too into the choreography. At first I thought sword... then I looked at the huge lunk that is Zhuang, then thought...

Tonfa.

Being nice and intimate will allow for more awesome bats and close contact stuff, and they're nice and easy to draw in comparison to a big ass staff. I never thought what is essentially a rectangle would give me this much problem. Traditionally animating this, the staff drawing would have the convenience of a ruler, and flash unfortunately does not.

But yes, Tonfa. I think they suit him rather well. As does the lack of jacket...

2 comments:

  1. maaaan. i was looking forward to seeing that staff whizzing around...there are a few ways to economically get around the problems that you've outlined though- making that staff rectangle on that third layer, shading it, etc- then just copypasta the chunks of the character layer that should overlap it-fill them in with green or something (on the staff layer) and delete them. voila, perfectly cut edges, and you only need to go over every frame once- maybe 5 seconds per frame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another day methinks. For now, I need to compromise or I'll never get this done XD

    ReplyDelete